Monday, July 26, 2010

How did you get this #?

Sloane Crosley, author of I was told there'd be cake, has a new book that had me snickering in quite a few instances (and  those who know me know I'd don't laugh lightly).  How did you get this number (which depicts a guilty faced brown bear on the cover, see below) is a collection of 9 essays in which Crosley critically examines certain episodes of her life with witty humor and some catch phrases that I wish I was smart enough to think of first. 

A few examples the insight in Crosley's essays:
On language barriers "...with the conviction that the longer one speaks Portuguese, the more apt your foreign subject is to understand it.  It's the Portuguese version of screaming English in order to better communicate.  Everyone knows that works." ...p. 24.
On an anorexic kleptomaniac roommate "None of my clothes would fit her without the aid of a staple gun."... p. 50.
On the safety of a night-light "...if they worked for me, would they not also work for the eight-eyed monster hiding in the closet?...She can see a night-light." ...p. 70.
See...Aren't these clever concepts? Don't you wish you had thought of some of these yourself?

'Light Pollution', her essay about the differences between the lower 48 & Alaska made me want to schedule my flight and check it out with my own eyes.

How did you get this number is a quick, light read that will leave you wishing there was more.  PCL also has I was told there'd be cake in the collection if you want to explore Crosley's 2008 works.

No comments:

Post a Comment