Sunday, December 19, 2010

Grey Gardens

Adam introduced me to another of his 'film picks' last week and I have to say it was the best one yet.  We saw the documentary Grey Gardens made in 1975 by the Maysles brothers.  It is a look into the lives of mother and daughter Edith Bouvier Beale and Little Edie Bouvier Beale, relations of Jackie O, who were living in a squalid estate in East Hampton.  It was a vouyeristic look into the lives of this once prominent society family, much like some of the books I have recently reviewed (see Wendy Burden's Dead End Gene Pool and Ivana Lowell's Why not say what happened?)  Grey Gardens could be equated with the worst episode of Hoarders (complete with cat urine).  It is truly enlightening to see how others live behind closed doors.  I went on to watch the movie version starring Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange, which very closely resembled the documentary.  I don't know which version I enjoyed more.  Upon further research I found this blog has amazing photos and background information.
People are fascinating creatures and it's always interesting to get a glimpse into other's lives.  A much tamer look can be found in the January 2011 issue of Marie Claire, which profiles international womens' lifestyles including how much they spend on shoes!  The article by Lea Goldman 'What it costs to be me' is on page 82.  A look into my life is certainly not as interesting as the women in the article.  My weekender for this weekend would be:  $6.00 for 2 loads of laundry and $12.00 for dinner with my daughter's Girl Scout troop on Saturday night.  Ok, maybe I'm not quite shattering the librarian stereotype!

No comments:

Post a Comment