Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The girl...

I know there is a long wait list for the posthumous works of Stieg Larsson - The girl with the dragon tattoo, The girl who played with fire, and The girl who kicked the hornet's nest.  I often don't like what everyone else is reading, so I didn't give these too much thought, although someone had told me they were graphic.  I don't remember reading any reviews, although I do remember reading the New York Times Magazine (May 23, 2010) article on the familial squabbles over Larsson's body of work titled The afterlife of Stieg Larsson (is there a fourth in the series?).  I got to view The girl with the dragon tattoo on DVD this weekend.  The movie was riveting and I thought it was a well-plotted, complex mystery.  This movie is subtitled, but I also found it enjoyable to listen to the crisp Swedish dialogue.  I can't wait to see the next movie in the trilogy (DVD being released Oct 26th), so I have one of the rental copies of The girl who played with fire.  I'm interested in how Larsson writes and if the movies are doing justice to his books.  I highly recommend The girl with the dragon tattoo DVD and I'll let you know my opinion on The girl who played with fire.  Please add your comments...I know many of you have read these already.
See reviews in the NYT:
The girl with the dragon tattoo (Sept. 14, 2008)
The girl who played with fire (July 17, 2009)
The girl who kicked the hornet's nest (May 30, 2010)

1 comment:

  1. I just finished reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and immediately want to read the next one. There were some parts that were quite disturbing, but the writing and story were top-notch. The main characters are complicated but engrossing. The whole thing is even more interesting when you know the author's background and the controversy surrounding the rights to his books and possible fourth title in the series.

    ReplyDelete