Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Star Island = Fantasy Island

Years back I read another Hiaasen book, Stormy weather, I believe.  I found the plot a far-flung, ridiculous storyline.  After reading a synopsis of Star Island, and seeing many patrons reserving his new novel, I decided to put my name on the hold list and give the work of this Miami Herald journalist another shot at capturing my interest.  Star Island is not a novel that has won me over to the camp of Hiaasen.  The novel did hold my attention in terms of entertainment value, however the plot was utter nonsense; a fantasy making me wonder just what type of hallucinogens inspired the myrid of characters and subplots.  For those who may enjoy this hair-brained fictional work, I  don't want to give away spoilers, but, come on, a weed-wacker as a prosthesis?  What is this, Edward Scissorhands?  Will I be caught again by a tempting plot summary of another Hiaasen book?  I think I've learned my lesson.

Read Hiaasen's column in the Miami Herald on America's Newspapers database
Carl Hiaasen entries in the PCL catalog.

No comments:

Post a Comment