Monday, September 27, 2010

My favorite banned books...

September 25th - October 3rd, the American Library Association celebrates Banned Book Week.  Books throughout history have been banned for being:  too political, sexually explicit, sacrilegious, and socially offensive.  I personally think some of the challengers of these books were just plain sticks in the mud, to put it nicely.  That's why libraries are such a nice idea...if you don't like a book for any reason, just return it...someone else might like it.  Even non-fiction books have been contested...does this prove the truth is really stranger than fiction???

Some banned books that I think are awesome:
Tess of the d'Urbervilles - Hardy has always been a favorite of mine.  My father (the English teacher) can't understand why.  Tess is not exactly a lighthearted novel, but I feel I can relate to her troubles & blues and grey existence.  Can't say that I've ever had treacle running down my back, but it usually is raining on my parade.
In cold blood - Capote's true crime that shocked in the 60's.
Fahrenheit 451 - I remember reading this in high school and still remember the smoldering storyline - Paper burns at 451 degrees..
The Scarlet Letter - too bad I can't think about this one without seeing Demi Moore as Hester Prynne.
Animal Farm - who doesn't like talking pigs?  And only a pig would say All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others.


For more commentary on banned books, see the PCL Adult Services Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment