Monday, August 2, 2010

Angel Face Amanda Knox

This weekend, I quickly read Angel Face:  The true story of student killer Amanda Knox.  She was the American studying in Perugia who was accused, tried, and convicted of murdering her British roommate.  This book got mixed reviews from Amazon readers, and I was initally a bit undecided myself.  It was easy to read and understand and that fact made me doubt the credibility.  I did some background checking on the author, who writes for the Daily Beast.  Delving further I found the Daily Beast was founded by Tina Brown, former editor of Vanity Fair and the New Yorker. I found the Daily Beast news aggregator site pretty interesting with tidbits on all sorts of news: political, entertainment, and just plain odd.  Another section, The Book Beast was equally interesting with opinions, reviews, and the scoop on hot titles.  I found a great article on the best true crime books and added a couple to my reading list. 
If you generally like the true crime genre, I would recommend this, if only for the reason that it does give a good overview of the crime, as far as the limits of evidence and statements from the trial allow.  It was written without bias and used the 10,000 page legal dosier as a main source.  I also liked that a note on the sources was given at the front of the book, although no footnotes were used within the text.  This is readable, interesting, and for a fan of true crime, one that should be added to the suggested reading list.

4 comments:

  1. This so-called "true story" is anything but unbiased and true. It was written early in the trial, by an author with experience in travel writing, who, by her own admission in a telephone interview on radio, did not attend all the court proceedings. It was passed as a psychological profile of a murder, by an unqualified author.

    For a better explanation of the happenings read "Murder In Italy" by Candace Dempsey. It will open your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The judges' sentencing report will be published in English this week. You will be able to download it from PMF and TJMK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PCL Patrons --- Let me know --- Would you like to see Murder In Italy by Candace Dempsey purchased for the library?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure, I'd like to see Murder in Italy purchased for the library.

    ReplyDelete