Thursday, August 5, 2010

netLibrary

Although I myself am not a big fan of audiobooks (I just can't seem to pay attention...my mind keeps wandering!), I was exploring the netLibrary pages while updating 'how-to-use' reference material. 

A few key points of netLibrary:
  • offers eAudiobooks for download and eBooks for use on pcs or digital readers.
  • eAudiobooks can be downloaded to iPods, Zunes, Sandisk, and other MP3 players (see complete list)
  • eBooks are compatible with the nook reader (Barnes & Noble) and the Sony ereader (a few other digital readers as well)
  • New titles are added month (see a listing of August titles here).
  • The netLibrary collection has both fiction and non-fiction works.
  • netLibrary is available remotely using your library card number & PIN
  • netLibrary is accessible 24/7 and books are never overdue!
  • netLibrary is not free to PCL.  It is a subscription database which is renewed on a yearly basis.
On a similar note, I have been debating on purchasing an ereader now that they are almost affordable (so, I won't eat for a while...at least I can read), but I haven't decided which kind to purchase.  Since netLibrary would provide free books for checkout with my PCL card, the nook is looking good.  The Kindle is running in second simply because I would then have to pay for material downloaded (except the ever-growing number of free classics available).  Any opinions?

2 comments:

  1. Gina,
    I had an iPad class last evening. eBooks have to be in 'epub' format, but most things are. There is a lot of free stuff out there, and the iPad has an app to download the Kindle AND the B&N nook reader. (Probably Sony, too) These are FREE. From there, you have access to THEIR free books, too. Right now, iPad's books are through itunes and doesn't yet have a big selection, but that'll improve.
    Thought you might to want to know. I thought it was cool that iPad can access the other readers selections.
    Sue Spess

    ReplyDelete