Tuesday, March 1, 2011

March Magazines

I haven't been written for a while.  I hadn't realized that it has been more than a month.  I've been so busy, but am resolving to blog regularly, no matter how short the posts might be.  At my new job as a periodicals librarian (which I am so thrilled to have), I'm being exposed to a lot of different magazines, journals, newsletters, and email updates.  I find something of interest every day, so of course I thought I'd share. 
Two tidbits I drew a correlation between today were relatively frightening (considering the news on CNN lately).  The first came in a Trends Journal email alert titled Trends Journal Predicted Global Anti-Gov't Protests:  What's Next? which discusses the impact of social media on global politics and seems to predict dire consequences.  See the Top Trends of 2011 (from the Trends Research Institute).  I am told that studying trends is really a key strategy for media this year.  Early this year I was able to sit in on a webinar by The Futures Company (formerly Yankelovich) which discussed the importance of trends in media.  I would like to hope the Trends Journal prediction is not going to come to pass.  However, in the March 1st issue of Bottom Line/Personal, I found an article titled How to survive a nuclear bomb (including decontamination methods).  The Bottom Line web site claims they have over 1 million readers (who may be in a frenzy of panic as I type).  How long before these types of articles show up in Woman's Day or worse, Newsweek
I'm glad I read a bit of everything.  Everyone should so they can evaluate and form their own opinions.  There is an overwhelming plethora of information.  Each reader needs to decide for themselves what to believe.  I hope this 'trend' is purely hype, but what do you believe?

Is this a scary new trend beginning?  Or just media hype to sell print?

No comments:

Post a Comment